Ingredients for White Chicken Pulao:
– Chicken, large pieces with bones- 750 gms
– Basmati Rice- 500 gms
For making the Yakhni (Chicken stock):
– Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
– Fennel Seeds- 1 tsp
– Green Cardamom- 8
– Cloves- 8
– Cinnamon- 3 pieces
– Black Cardamom-3
– Whole Black Peppercorns- 20
– Star Anise- 1
– Bay Leaf- 2
– Salt- 1.5 tsp
– Onions cubed- 1 small (50 gms)
– Ginger, julienned (sliced)- 2 tbsp
– Whole garlic with skin, crushed- 8-10
– Ghee- 1 tbsp
– Water- 900 ml
For the Pulao:
– Refined Oil- 3 tbsp
– Ghee- 1 tbsp
– Bay Leaves- 2
– Onions sliced- 200 gms
– Ginger Garlic paste- 2 tbsp
– Tomatoes, chopped- 2 small (120 gms)
– Coriander Powder- 2 tsp
– Garam Masala Powder- 1.5 tsp
– Whisked curd/plain yogurt- 4 tbsp
– Green Chillies, cut & slit- 4-5
– Fried onions (birista), optional- 1 medium onion
– Salt- 1/2 tsp + 1.5 tsp
– For the Yakhni (chicken stock), cube the onions, peel and julienne (slice) the ginger and crush the whole garlic cloves.
– For the Pulao, slice 200 gms of onion (around 2 large onions or 3 medium onions).
– Also slice 1 medium onion (75 gms) and fry it in oil till golden (birista). Set it aside for use later as garnish (optional).
– Chop the tomatoes and cut & slit the green chillies.
– Whisk the curd/plain yogurt and set it aside.
– Soak the basmati rice 30 mins before cooking it.
– To make the Yakhni (chicken stock), take a cook-pot and add the chicken.
– Add all the other ingredients, ghee and water as specified above.
– Give a mix and cover with a lid. Keep heat on high and once it comes to a boil, give a mix and place the lid again.
– Cook on low heat for 20 mins till the chicken is nearly tender and the yakhni (Chicken stock) is done.
– Switch off heat and allow it to cool a bit.
– Strain the Yakhni in a strainer and separate the chicken pieces. Set aside both separately for use later.
– In case you’re using 500 gms basmati rice, make sure that the Yakhni (stock) is 900 ml since the rice will be cooked in this Yakhni (stock). In case it’s less, add water to make it 900 ml.
To make the Pulao:
– Heat oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and add the bay leaves.
– Now add the sliced onions and fry on medium heat for around 10 mins till light brown.
– Add the ginger garlic paste, give a mix and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
– Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry on medium heat for 1-2 mins.
– Add the Coriander powder, Garam masala powder and 1/2 tsp salt.
– Add a splash of water. Give a mix and fry on medium to low heat for 2-3 mins.
– Add the boiled chicken pieces and fry on medium heat for 3-4 mins till the chicken is browned and the masala coats the chicken pieces.
– Add the whisked curd/plain yogurt, mix and cook on low heat for 2 mins till oil separates.
– Now add the Yakhni (900 ml Chicken stock strained earlier and set aside). Add the slit green chillies and 1.5 tsp salt and give a stir.
– Keep it on high heat and allow it to come to a boil.
– Now add the soaked & drained rice and give a mix.
– Cover and cook on medium heat for 5 mins.
– Now remove lid, give a stir lightly and cover again.
– Continue to cook on low heat for 10 mins till the rice is cooked and the water has dried up.
– Optionally garnish the Pulao with the birista (fried onions).
– Switch off heat and allow it to rest for 20 mins before serving.
#whitechickenpulao #chickenyakhnipulao #chickenpulao #simplechickenpulao #chickenricebowl #quickchickenpulao #chickenpilaf #spiceeats #spiceeatsrecipes